Sunday, August 28, 2011

It Is A Dog Eat Dog Treat World

Now that we're back  from vacation (take that robbers who didn't even know we were gone), the oven has been switched on and dough is-a-mixin'.

Ryan and I spent a wonderful week in Gulf Shores, Alabama. The sand, ocean and beer was wonderful but oddly enough, the entire time we continued to say, in one way or another, "I miss the dogs." Sammie and Joey, or to be more specific - Samantha Jones Sock-Thief High and Josephine Potter Cuddle Bug High - are our furry babies as they're known around our house. Sammie recently turned three and Joey will be two in October. Awe, how they've grown. Anyway, we left them at home all week (thank you again to the wonderful friends who peeked in on them) and when we got back it only seemed right to dedicate this post to them...and make dog treats.


Joey and Sammie being good - don't blink...you'll miss it.


One of my favorite recipes is a dog treat recipe I found awhile back and it has been a howling favorite of the pups.

Delicious Dog Dandies

Ingredients:
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 3/4 cup hot or boiling water
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk (how this is even possible blows my mind)
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar


Wall - O - Cookie Cutters!
 
First things first. Get cute cookie cutters. This brings me back to the Great Wall of Cookie Cutters at the Chef Shoppe. I took a picture of it the last time I was in its presence. There is another stand full of delightful Dough Shapers behind me in this photo but my goodness - you should get the point.


They have lovely shapes that many dogs would appreciate - fire hydrants, bones, squires, and dead bunnies. Ugh, if you didn't get that last reference give me a call...we'll chat and you'll have a good laugh at my expense. Let's just sum it up that Joey brought me a dead bunny and laid it on my lap while I was on the couch. I didn't know it was a dead Thumper until I touched it thinking it was the dog. Needless to say I jumped about four feet in the air and the dead animal went flying. I called Ryan and he giggled while I cried and laughed at the ridiculous situation the dog had put me in...again...on MY BIRTHDAY.

Oy. Moving on to the baking...that's why you're here right?

So once you have your shapes of fun, dissolve the bouillon cubes (also known as the best part of Ramen Noodles) and the hot or boiling water.

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, oil, egg, dry milk, beef broth, and brown sugar.

This is a cookie dough but this is not like a normal dough. It is really sticky so keep the flour out. I recommend sticking the bowl in the fridge for a while - the warmer it is, the stickier it gets.

Sprinkle flour on the counter and roll the dough out (flour the pin - you'll thank me) to about a 1/4 of an inch. Speaking of, why do they do that? I never know what that means and I don't keep a tape measure in the kitchen. How about as thick as 20 pages of a cookbook or three slices of cheese. Come on people, don't be silly.


Now is probably a good time to preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Cookie cutter away people!! I have a set of three bones. I also have an awesome set of 'dog themed' cutters my lovely mother-in-law got me but they are currently hanging out with my Christmas cookie cutters. I like to think they're patiently waiting for November 27 when I go full 'Deck the Halls' mode.


These were, honest to God, not staged. These dogs are professional beggars and I always have the camera at the ready - you've been warned.

Spray the bejesus out of the pan or the aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Don't worry about spacing the cut outs to close together or anything - they don't expand and won't form a mega cookie like so many other cookie doughs tend to do.

Done. Easy and super fun to give as gifts to other loving puppy parents. Speaking of. Here are three gifts I put together for friends who helped babysit the pups. Umm, I hope they don't read this tonight but these are to dang cute not to post.

Thanks to Mom and Sis for aiding in the pouring and price tag removal process.

Another cute treat I've seen are large Milk Bones half dipped in white chocolate. White chocolate (in moderation) is okay for dogs - NOT to be confused with milk or dark chocolate, which is bad. Anyway, cute cute cute.

Planning to post mid-week, perhaps muffins.

Yum...or Woof...no. Yum,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment